Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Crackers are hard....

Hello friends

Today I made my first (and likely last, at least for a while) attempt at making homemade crackers. The recipe is as follows

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/wheat-crackers/

Before I started, I read through some of the comments and reviews and decided to use a flavored olive oil/roasted walnut oil blend. I also added about 1/3 cup sugar as suggested. I don't know what the issue was, but I ended up with an EXTREMELY sticky dough. Never try to roll out dough if you don't think it's the correct consistency.....it only leads to sticky counter tops and fingers. I tried to salvage the mixture by rolling it out on the pan. This led to doughy insides and burnt outsides. Mission aborted. Not even worth a picture. Sad day.

***EDIT*** I spoke too soon. One of the batches was actually pretty tasty. Like wheat thins. Still a lot of work, but this may be worth a second try, using wax paper to cut down on the mess


Oh well. I'll make up for it by sharing one of my favorite, no fail dinners: turkey burger with sauteed veggies. You seriously cannot screw this up. I'm a huge fan of Jennie-O Turkey Burgers. Rub Lawry's seasoning on both sides and stick it in a George Foreman Grill.

While the burger is cooking, saute some veggies. You can do whatever you have around, but my favorite is some combination of mushrooms, onions, shallots, kale, and spinach. Garlic flavored olive oil is great for this.

Top your burger with your sauteed goodies, and add some crumbed blue cheese to be extra decadent. (Side note: Blue cheese is one of those foods you need to mature into. I don't know any children who like cheese this pungent, but man oh man it's crumbles are to die for. Try it again if you haven't in a while)



Put it all on a slice of bread or hamburger bun and chow down. That's it. Much easier than those damn crackers....

No comments:

Post a Comment